SaaS, you have probably heard of it, but what do you know about it? In short, SaaS, also called Software as a Service, is a Cloud-based service. This means that you no longer have to download your business software onto your computer but can open and use it in your internet browser. Online and accessible, from office software to production applications. But what can SaaS do for you? The most frequently asked questions and their answers briefly explained.
Why is SaaS important?
The world and its society is taking the express train when it comes to digitization. We need to be more flexible and accessible than ever, and above all from any location. SaaS gives you the opportunity to consult your applications from your browser. You no longer need internal servers, just an internet connection is enough to work from anywhere you want.
What is the difference between SaaS, IaaS and PaaS?
• SaaS: Software as a Service, is very popular within almost all sectors. Why? SaaS providers, such as Drink-IT, who take on the installation of this Cloud software, will undoubtedly lighten the IT burden within your company. How? SaaS is fully managed by your Cloud provider. From applications, data and operating systems, and everything in between.
• IaaS: Infrastructure as a Service, provides on-demand services such as data storage, network access and virtualization according to the pay-as-you-go principle. The biggest advantage? Creating IT infrastructure in your business is expensive and labor intensive, often requiring a significant investment in physical hardware and external IT contractors to install and maintain it. Thanks to IaaS, this is no longer a concern for you.
• PaaS: Platform as a Service, is somewhat comparable to SaaS, but mainly offers a platform to make your own software. The Cloud vendor carries most of the service, including run-time, middleware, operating systems, servers, storage, networking, and virtualization.
What are the benefits of SaaS?
Software as a Service has many advantages, have a look:
• Connected: SaaS connects. Third-party MarTech systems are also easy to integrate.
• Simple: The modern and intelligent interface makes your work easier, and you experience a user experience tailored to your needs.
• Scalable: Need changes? No problem, a tailor-made approach is an easy fix for your SaaS provider no matter how your company's market dynamics change.
• Intelligent: Fully integrated AI (Artificial Intelligence) and ML (Machine Learning) technologies flow as a service throughout the platform. In other words, SaaS helps you predict behavior, act on data and get the right information in real time.
What are the benefits of working with a SaaS provider?
• Reduce costs: Because your SaaS provider manages your data and applications, your infrastructure and internal resource costs are much lower than in the traditional model. SaaS providers spread their costs over different customers, so that they can often offer you an advantageous pricing model.
• Version management and upgrades: You no longer have to worry about keeping your own software up to date. This responsibility sits entirely with your SaaS provider. In other words, it is not necessary to purchase upgrade packages yourself, with all the extra costs that come.
Who owns my data?
A common question, but also an impediment for many companies to start working with a SaaS supplier. However, everything depends on the contract or Service Level Agreement (SLA) you enter into with your SaaS provider. Such a contract discusses, among other things, the ownership of your data, security requirements and maintenance schedules.
Two important things to take into account:
• Make sure your SLA states that you unambiguously own your data.
• You should be able to export your data and back it up locally at any time.
Is my data safe?
The safety of your data is always a priority regardless the size of your company. SaaS vendors invest heavily in security, backups and maintenance, often more than a small or medium-sized company has the resources for it. In addition, data centers are always measured against strict audit security procedures and standards, that are often difficult for a local IT department to adhere to.
Can I customize SaaS?
The answer is simple. Yes, that's possible! Every Cloud based solution today is flexible enough to be adapted for specific business use. For example, you can adjust user interfaces (UI), but also change data fields. Various business process functions can also be turned on and off according to your needs. You can also set up your own dashboard or task list and create a unique working environment that is specific to your company.
What is an example of SaaS?
A good example of Service as a Software? That is a system such as Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central. The preferred ERP system to run your entire company. What can Business Central do for you?
• Streamline your processes and optimize your supply chain
• Make analyzing your results easier
• Efficiently manage all your information and data in one system
• Spot opportunities and improve your customer service with crystal clear insights
• Seamlessly track your projects and plan even more accurately
• Make the most of resources and track performance in real-time
Drink-IT helps you realize your full business potential through technology and digital transformation. Would you like to know what Drink-IT can do for you, or would you like to know more about our services? Contact us for advice.